Hi guys! I thought for today’s topic we would focus on Superfoods! I’m sure many of you are already familiar with different types of Superfoods, but do you know why they are good for you?
As David Wolfe, author of Superfoods Book, explains “Superfoods are a class of the most potent, super-concentrated, and nutrient rich foods on the planet. Extremely tasty, and satisfying. Superfoods have the ability to tremendously increase the vital force and energy of one’s body, and the optimum choice for improving overall health, boosting the immune system, elevating serotonin production, enhancing sexuality, cleansing, and alkalizing the body. Nourishing us at the deepest level, they are the true fuel for today’s “superhero””. (written by the true raw food guru himself)
Now that more of you have a better understanding of what superfoods really are, I want to list a few of my favorites & the benefits that come along w/ each one.
- Cacao are the Mayan “Food of the Gods”. Raw cacao comes in multiple forms; whole cacao beans, cacao nibs, cacao powder, and cacao butter. Not only is cacao rich in minerals, but cacao promotes cardiovascular health and is extremely high in magnesium. I have noticed over the past few months, cacao nibs have been showing up all over the place; Not only are cacao nibs sold as a chocolate covered snack, but they are being incorporated into baked goods in replacement of chocolate chips or nuts.
- Chia Seeds are tiny black and white seeds that comes from the plant Salvia Hispanica. They are an unprocessed and whole-grain food source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids. Chia seeds are high in fibre, calcium, loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. They also contain 20% of protein. Most people will top cereal, smoothies, yogurt and even vegetables with Chia Seeds. Another cool thing when working with Chia; you can substitute chia gel in place of 1/2 the butter/oil in baked goods.
- Flaxseeds are highly nutritious. Flaxseeds are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids which are key forces in helping and preventing inflammation. By preventing inflammation, you are decreasing your risk of: heart disease, asthma, diabetes, and arthritis. Flaxseeds are also high in fiber, and high in phytochemicals; including many antioxidants and lignans. Evidence shows that lignans have been found to not only promote fertility, pre-menopause, but also reduce your risk of breast cancer.
- Goji Berries are a bright orange-reddish berry that almost always come from China. Goji berries are filled with powerful antioxidants that are known to prevent heart disease, lower cholesterol, and boost your immune system. They protect against alzheimer’s, vision, and are known to help with quality of sleep and athletic performance. Goji berries are an extremely rich source of Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C and E.
As there are many other superfoods; maca, blueberries, hemp products, avocado, adzuki beans, I chose four of my favorites to share with you. I hope you enjoyed my little learning session today, Ha Ha =) If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to send me an email.
- Do you incorporate superfoods into your daily diet?
- What is your favorite baked good that either incorporates flaxseeds, or chia seeds?